(to return to the summary: ♦ )
- QUESTIONS ABOUT THE METHOD KM2
- What is the KM2 method for?
- What does SGH stand for?
- Is the KM2 method a simple extension of mind-mapping?
- Why is KM2 made up of several software programs?
- Why does KM2 need training?
- The method and the software interest me, but how will my colleagues follow me?
- Why did you choose Xmind as a graph manipulation software?
- QUESTIONS ON THE XMIND SOFTWARE
- QUESTIONS ON THE KM2 SOFTWARE
What is the KM2 method for? ♦
- KM2 is a working method allowing a productivity and an increased quality of the professionals and more generally of any person having an activity requiring the knowledge.
- KM2 allows to easily and efficiently manage meetings, todo lists, activity reports, syntheses, search and generate documents, …
What does SGH stand for? ♦
- SGH = Scripto Graphics and Hyperlinks
- The 3 letters designate the primitives used to record knowledge:
- S in the form of words,
- G in the form of graphs and graphs:
- Graphics: either drawings or symbols,
- Graphs: visual arrows to link elements together
- H for hyperlinks: hyperlinks are references to other knowledge, which may be in the same
- The classification (without the borders being perfect) is as follows:
- a text (book, journal) uses S notations (that words)
- a hypertext (eg wikipedia) uses a system of notations Sh and Sgh (a lot of text, some links, some graphics (which illustrate but rarely form part of the discourse).
- A comics book is typically sG (a little text and a lot of drawing).
- An SGH notation language combines the 3 primitives at the same level of importance (even if the spatial occupation is not the same)
- SGH notations are a new form of writing (see blog article here) .
Is the KM2 method a simple extension of mind-mapping? ♦
No because :
- The theory of graphs and the representation of knowledge by drawings is not new! One finds tree designs with text that are more than 1000 years old in the old parchments. The basis of graph theory was invented by the great mathematician Leonhard Euler in 1736 .
- There is a convergence of tools for drawing, and the 2-level cutting proposed by KM2 makes it possible to use most of the tools of Mind-Mapping of the market, which are in fact simplified tools of management of trees and of graphs.
|The KM2 method|| The mind-mapping
- KM2 has an immense ambition to allow continuous work with tools that allow not only an auxiliary memory but also an efficient working memory.
Why is KM2 made up of several software programs? ♦
- KM2 naturally connects to Mind-Mapping software that has the necessary drawing and hyperlink primitives, and that go beyond the Buzan method.
- a new version is planned that will be autonomous, independent and compatible with these Mind-Mapping software
- There is a lot of different Mind-Mapping software, and you can not change everyone’s habits
Why does KM2 need training? ♦
- It is the fault at school:
- From a very young age, we learn how to write in linear, not to leave the page, that the text and the drawings do not mix.
- It is also learned that one must either write or draw and that these activities are incompatible with one another.
- The notion of hyperlink is not taught as such.
- We must therefore learn a new logic of writing, notation, and thought.
- This requires training, and also a teacher to effectively spread good practice.
- Fortunately we do not start from scratch.
The method and the software interest me, but how will my colleagues follow me? ♦
- First you can communicate your XMIND files and they can access them because the XMIND software is free for reading and minor changes.
- At first they can read your files.
- In a second time they will be jealous of your productivity!
Why did you choose Xmind as a graph manipulation software? ♦
- The KM2 software is compatible with Xmind, which is one of the market leaders.
- The KM2 software can manipulate and generate complex graph structures in Xmind format.
- The KM2 software is also input compatible with other Mind-Mapping software that it can also index.
- The development of a specific graph manipulation tool is a big job, and did not add enough value to the software and the KM2 method in the first versions.
QUESTIONS ON THE XMIND SOFTWARE ♦
How do I get Xmind? ♦
- The software can be downloaded on XMIND.NET.
- The software is free, but you may enjoy the pro version, which allows better search, project management, more views, etc. Rates are displayed here.
What are the advantages of Xmind compared to other graph display software? ♦
- Xmind has a free high-performance version.
- Xmind runs on both Windows and Apple platforms.
- An Xmind file can have several pages/tabs (or sheets as in Excel), which allows you to have notes or appendices, which are very useful.
- The Xmind representation system contains a table format, which is very useful for presenting knowledge or performing analyzes. The trees that would represent these paintings are complex, voluminous and illegible. This system is therefore fundamental.
What are the advantages of other mind-mapping software? ♦
- MindManager: There are other programs that have more integrated primitives in Windows (for example MindManager with the Microsoft Office suite
- Mindomo that only work in web mode (Mindomo).
- FreeMind: free software too, but the ergonomics is below that of Xmind. FreeMind allows interesting extensions programmable (quite complicated) by the user.
- These softwares are limited as seen above in terms of representation, and are also much more expensive to use.
QUESTIONS ON THE KM2 SOFTWARE ♦
I use other software than Xmind, can I use the KM2 method? ♦
- YES :
- The KM2 engine is compatible (in the sense of indexing) with several software like Xmind, MindManager, Freeplane, FreeMind.
- Other formats will follow.